Monday, July 20, 2009

Stillwater Cove













Another month, another camp trip. This is the life! July's adventure took me to Stillwater Cove campground on the beautiful Sonoma Coast. It is part of the Sonoma County Regional Park system. With only 22 sites, it is nice and small and well maintained.
I got an early start (as usual) on my 45 mile, 90 minute trek out to the coast. The 15 miles on Highway 1 from Jenner to the park has more curves than the infamous "road to Hana"! But the views are breathtaking. I've driven this stretch of road many times and had previously noticed a row of travel trailers set up on a bluff near Timber Cove. Funny though, this is the first time I have spied the tiny vintage Sports Master wedged in between the other rigs. Looks like it has been sitting there for years. I wonder if the owner might want to sell it ...
I made it to camp and got the RR all set up in record time. Site #7 has a partial view of the ocean just across the highway. Then I preceded to take a long nap - the type that feels like you've been hit with a tranquilizer dart! Guess I've been pushing a bit hard lately.
On Saturday, my friend Shelli came out to visit. We sat in camp, talked and caught up on life's happenings. It is always good to see an old friend. Saturday evening, I made a new "camp buddy". A guy named Richard rode into camp on a BMW motorcycle and needed a place to throw down his tent for the night. I offered to let him share my space. He is from Boston and had flown out, rented the bike in San Francisco and was on a week long tour of Nor Cal. We chatted by the campfire, shared a cup of coffee the next morning and he went on his way up toward Eureka. You can meet the most incredible people while camping!
Over the weekend, several other campers stopped by to take a look at the RR. I'm always flattered when people show an interest in my canned ham. And I love hearing stories of their camp adventures from days gone by.
In my 5 days at Stillwater, I read 4 books, took 2 naps and enjoyed some wonderful hikes along the ocean cliffs. All in all, another successful outing with my RR.





1 comment:

  1. Kathy,

    Glad to see you had the RR back on the road and that you had a great time. It's been just a few weeks since my last trip and I already have the itch. Don't know when my next trip will be but can promise it won't be long.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete