Saturday, June 27, 2009

Fallen Leaf Lake








South Lake Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. And Fallen Leaf Campground is 1 of my favorite places to camp. I have camped in this area for the past 7 years. Early summer in the Sierras is the most amazing time of year for a visit. The meadows are lush and green. Snow still sits on the mountain peaks. The early wildflowers are just starting to bloom. There is still a crispness to the air. And, on occasion, there are thunderstorms. What fun!
I had made my reservations back in January. I like to be sure and get 1 of my "preferred" camp sites! Plus, it gives me something to look forward to during the long, cold winter months. When I was at the Pismo rally, I mentioned my trip to a few friends and they wanted to join in. A good old fashioned camp out!
As always, I was out the door at the crack of dawn. I covered the 210 miles in under 4 hours (including potty breaks!). My Chevy truck had no problem pulling the RR up the grade on Highway 50. I arrived at the pleasantly early hour of 9:30 am! I do like making the most of my vacation time! I got all set up in site #165. It is a nice spot with plenty of shade, privacy and a wonderful view of the meadow. Just a bit challenging to get the RR level!
Later in the afternoon, Margaret and Steve arrived from Roseville, CA. with their '66 Aristocrat. And after dinner, Anne-Marie from Oakland with her home-made teardrop trailer pulled in. Now the fun could begin!
Saturday morning, Margaret and Anne-Marie made breakfast for everyone in the Aristocrat. Then Anne-Marie and I took the hike to Big Meadow. A short but exhilarating trek, Big Meadow has some of the most spectacular views in the area. A leisurely afternoon brought a few rain showers. Good thing the Aristocrat has a nice, big awning!
For our Saturday night pot luck, Margaret and Steve cooked a chicken dish in their new Dutch oven. Anne-Marie roasted vegetables over the campfire. And I provided homemade blackberry pie with whipped cream. Why does food always taste better when you are camping?! Great food with good friends. Perfect!
Sunday was my turn to make breakfast. Then sadly, Margaret and Steve had to pack up and head for home. After cleaning up the breakfast mess, I took the 4.2 mile hike (with 1,200' elevation gain!) to Cathedral Lake. Either the trail gets a bit harder each year or I'm getting older ... This is my favorite hike at South Lake Tahoe. And I got my wish - there was still some snow on the trail!
Sunday night I opted for burgers in town with Anne-Marie. Then back for a big bonfire and off to an early bed.
Monday morning Anne-Marie had to leave, so I spent the day catching up on my reading. I took a nice afternoon walk around the west shore of Fallen Leaf Lake and collected some cool rocks to put around my new fish pond.
Tuesday it was my turn to pack up and crawl back home. My time here is never long enough. I did get 3 of my 4 wishes: I touched snow; I saw a wild columbine in bloom; there were thundershowers. But to my disappointment, I didn't see a bear. I heard the screaming and ruckus in the middle of the night. But that was all! No sightings : (
I was pleased with how the RR handled coming back down the mountain grade. It towed nice and straight without a lot of weight straining the braking system. I got home safe and sound. I cleaned out the RR and covered it up until our next camp adventure next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment