Saturday, May 2, 2009

Eating crow






From the beginning, I was determined to restore the RR with as little help as possible. Silly, I know. Maybe I am just trying to prove to myself that I can do anything I set my mind to. I knew that I'd have help with the wheels and brakes. Being safe on the road is more important than being self sufficient. I have mentioned several times how I was planning on making the curtains myself. I even bought a vintage sewing machine at an estate sale! I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and do something that wasn't about demolition and rebuilding! Well ... I caved in. Push came to shove and with my time in short supply these days, I asked for help!
Karen, one of my favorite clients, offered to sew the curtains for me. She is an amazing watercolor artist with an eye for detail. I knew she would do a better job than I ever could.
She came over and checked out the RR. She measured and calculated the dimensions. She spent hours figuring out to lay the fabric out correctly. Things that I would never have thought of -- how will the weight of the fabric affect the "bunching" on the rod; how to have each curtain long enough without having it touch the tops of the benches or the kitchen back splash; how to add a lining on the backside of the fabric so it will look "finished" from the outside. OMG - this is like an algebra equation! Way too much for my brain to process. I'll stick with a hammer or a drill!! She sewed one set to be sure it looked just right. Then she finished up the sets for all 7 windows. Her workmanship is incredible. All the seams are straight and even. The width and length of each panel fits with the corresponding window perfectly. I am blown away how different the RR looks the new curtains. And I couldn't have done it without her : )
I bought some off-white cording for the tie-backs. At least that part of the window dressings I could do all by myself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment