Sunday, April 26, 2009

Seeing red




After allowing the required time for the white paint to dry, I was ready to paint the red stripe. Ah, red. My favorite color and one of the two requirements when I was looking for a trailer to purchase. I went with "safety red" in rattle cans. With a name like that, how could I go wrong? And I wouldn't even need to worry if any over spray got on my truck! A perfectly matching pair. Wouldn't it be sweet if I could find a '62 Chevy pickup to tow with!
Yes, the wind was still blowing. Funny how I never paid much attention to wind speeds before. Now it is right up there with temperature and humidity. I did all the required masking. Tedious at best, but essential to a successful outcome. Only a few scratches needed to be primed. Then on to the color coat. Beautiful, bright new red. It covered so much easier than the white had. Methodically, back and forth, nice and even. I sprayed the entire stripe in about an hour. I was so pleased with the finished product.
I let the paint set up overnight and then went to work removing all the painter's tape and plastic sheeting. There were a few areas where I didn't get perfect contact with the tape and some red spray seeped under onto the white. Oh well. At some point I can go back and touch up those spots. Then there was the roof. If I remember correctly, the day I painted the roof the wind was blowing about 25 MPH. I had a feeling I was pushing my luck and should have waited and done it another time. Me, wait? HA! So when I peeled the tape and plastic from the roofing, the white paint came right off! Big stripes of exposed bare aluminum. All I could do was laugh. Another day and time, I probably would have cried. I was just grateful that it was the roof and not the sides that would need to be repainted. Perhaps there is a lesson here somewhere .....


No comments:

Post a Comment