Monday, June 8, 2009

Down to the wire






Life never ceases to amaze me. With my deadline quickly approaching, God decides to hand me a few extra challenges. Is this a test or what??
I need to back up about 2 weeks and write about Rick the mechanic. He is the wonderful guy who came over about 2 months ago to do the barrings and brakes. I managed to get an appointment with him (he is a very popular guy!) for the 1 Monday in early May when we got record rainfall. He had planned on getting the brake controller hooked up in my truck and the trailer wiring dialed in. I can't make a road trip without functional brakes and trailer lights. When Rick arrived, it was just drizzling a bit. He got the brake controller installed no problem. Now on to the trailer. By this time, it is solid drizzle bordering on sprinkles. I'm like "this reminds me of Maui rains - nice and warm and no big deal!" Rick wasn't buying it. I got my big patio umbrella and set it up over him so he could stay dry. That worked for awhile until the weather turned to full on rain. He managed to get all the lights working but was having a problem with the brakes not activating. I could sense his frustration. I gave in and asked if he could come another day and finish up the job. He gladly agreed. I think he was just happy to collect his money and get out from under that umbrella! A few days before I left for the Pismo rally, he came back and was able to pinpoint the problem. One of the wires had pinched off in the connector. He fixed the connection and bingo -- I had trailer brakes! I just hope that the next time I need his help, he will take my call!!
The 1 other job that needed to be done before I hit the highway was some welding on the frame. This is WAY outta my league. Lucky for me I met Paul the welder at the Casini rally last September. Small world in that we have many mutual friends and clients. Paul has a growing case of aluminitis - he now has 3 vintage trailers! If only I had the space ...
He had stopped by and taken a look at the RR. 4 of the small angle irons on the sides of the main frame needed to be repaired. No problem for a handy guy like him. I hooked up my trailer and took it to his shop in Healdsburg. He got his gear and slid under the RR. All I could see were his legs and a bunch of sparks. I got a little nervous when he asked for a wet towel to cool the metal and then questioned where I kept any extra small propane canisters! I could just see all my hard work going up in flames :0 But Paul is a professional. I got away with only a few scorch marks.
With the last 2 major hurdles behind me, I could now focus on getting thru my final work week and packing for my trip. I know my RR is finally "rally ready". I just hope that I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment