Sunday, November 2, 2008

Stalled out




The first weekend was spent cleaning and looking over the RR. It was fun to discover all the little quirks of the old trailer. The little propane lanterns, the details of the gold starburst countertop, the old style "pinch" latches on the cupboards and drawers. There was even a small cardboard box with some of the original instruction booklets for the interior lights, the electronic braking system and towing / hitching pointers! Then came the realization that the trailer did in fact need quite a bit of work. There was water damage at the roof vent and below the front and rear windows - typical for a trailer of this age. A bonus was the lower rear corner where I could see thru to the lawn below!
I, of course, wanted to immediately get to the part where I could refinish the woodwork and make new curtains. I felt a bit overwhelmed at the task I had undertaken. I had never done any type of restoration project on a trailer and had no idea where to begin. So I just stalled out.
In late September, Debbie and I went to the Vintage Trailer Rally at the River held at Casini Ranch Campground in Duncan Mills, CA. There were over 60 vintage trailers ranging from the early 1950's to the early 1970's. Many of the owners had done their own restorations and had very detailed photo albums to show their process. Some of their trailers were in much worse condition than the RR when they started. I decided that if all these people could do it, then so could I.

No comments:

Post a Comment