Monday, November 3, 2008

The morning after




The following day I realised there was no turning back. I had come this far, right? That first day at Paul and Caroline's, they were working on an Aristocrat. They had peeled the "skin" (the aluminum siding) from the trailer to expose the wood framing. It scared the hell out of me! I would never do THAT! Open up my trailer like a sardine can?? Well ... knowing that the RR had water damage told me it probably had some dry rot in the corners. Can't I just do new curtains??? So I started at the back. I knew there was some amount of dry rot because I could see the lawn thru that lower rear corner - remember? I removed the screws and a bazillion staples from the skin and WOW - I could remove that section of aluminum! I carefully stuffed the old insulation into a trash bag and exposed the rotten framing. It didn't look as bad as I had imagined. This isn't so scary after all! I repeated the same process on the front. More dry rot. No big deal. I can cut new wood sections to replace the ones that had turned to sawdust. I've been cutting wood and pounding nails since I was a kid. This I know how to do.
With the weekend winding down, I was so proud of the work I had done. The following work week was set to be rather busy with a big rain storm on the way, so I covered the RR with heavy tarps and put all the odd pieces I had removed into the shed. I would wait for the next dry weekend to work on the dry rot. Lets hope it happens soon - don't want to lose my momentum!

No comments:

Post a Comment